Monday, November 8, 2010

Corporate Spam

When receiving corporate email, it often includes a signature with the senders position, contact info, and possibly a company logo or some other small branding element, which I think is appropriate. Recently however I received a work related email which had in it, embedded around the mail content, four corporate ad images on the side, a large banner on top and the following signature at the bottom. 





I could not imagine how hijacking any outbound company email and "enriching" it with company ads in such a manner could contribute to the company's image, not to talk about the signature ad for the external service doing this, which mostly reminds me of the crappy "sent by hotmail" sigs.

However, after a second glance the bottom "do not enrich" link gave me hope that I might still unsubscribe. Clicking on it, I was asked for confirmation and then presented with the following message:





So now, someone should decide in person if I am deemed worthy enough to not receive those ads in my inbound emails from that company... And knowing the company, this request of mine was probably forwarded to whatever in-person version of /dev/null they have.


1 comment:

  1. I know that person very well...
    He even has a Facebook profile:
    http://web.mit.edu/bloggers/www/yanz12/albums/dictionary/null.jpg

    And if you think THIS joke was lousy, reread the post :)

    Unbelievable

    ReplyDelete