Saturday, December 13, 2008

Teaching Programming To Kids

Kids are quite computer savvy these days, and my (10 years old) brother is no exception. He is used to growing with technology and the Internet all around him - he works with MS Office programs and Paintbrush all the time, uses Wikipedia and Google to do his homework and knows how to move music and photos between the computer and mobile phone using Bluetooth. His interest in the computer and trying new stuff was another reason for my interest in online backup, as well as various virtualisation and sandboxing solutions for programs (more on that in a future post).

So, today I've started teaching him a little about programming. And to those who know me and are wondering - I did NOT start with Perl and Regular expressions, but rather found a nice book about Python programming for kids. So far he liked it and was very enthusiastic to learn more. Since some visual feedback will have the most appeal for him, I'm looking for some ideas for simple programs to do with graphics and gaming. Any ideas?

In the meantime, I'm going to check that everything is truly backed-up, before my brother finds a creative way to blow up the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment