Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Google Quicksearch Gibberish Auto-translate

Since I'm writing daily in two languages (Hebrew and English) and constantly switching between the two, it is quite often that I want to search in one language but type in another by mistake, so the result is gibberish.

Here a cool thing I noticed just recently - the correct search result (in the intended language) is suggested. And it works both ways - both Hebrew to English and back, although not in every case of course.



My guess is that this translation was learned based on user search histories, since after such a mistake the user immediately searches again for the correct word. Anyway, another cool idea that just "works" - it took me some time to notice that the (correct) suggestions were actually given for a search term typed in the wrong language. 

1 comment: