Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Personal Internet

I've been thinking for some time about the idea that the Internet I see when I'm browsing is different from what other people do. By this I mean both the content I read and the actual experience of being online.

Of course, what people read or listen to reflects their personal interests, biases and their environment. Yet at first, the web was this collection of static pages that were presented to anyone who visited. A sort of "absolute truth" - we would read the same news from the same media sources, and would get the same results when searching something.

With time, the web adapted and "got to know me". Amazon would suggest you different books depending on what you bought and what you looked at. Google modified results based on your language, country and your own personal search history. But the biggest change was the "social" revolution - and by this I don't mean all sites like MySpace, Facebook, etc. I mean the ability of private people to publish their own ideas, and reach the entire world - at no cost.

I have many subscriptions in Google Reader (over 100), yet of those, only 4 are for "big news sites" such as Ynet or TheMarker. A few more are various social news aggregators (like Slashdot), about 10 for comics and fun stuff, and around 10 official blogs for specific companies (
Michael Stal for his ideas on software architecture;




































1 comment:

  1. Great post. You can read my track-back at my blog: http://technomosh.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-split-personal-ity-internet.html

    BTW, I've been using that FF plugin, it's great. Yet another reason FF rules, and Chrome won't replace is anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete